Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bible: Not Always Pretty

I like to check out the Bible section in Barnes and Noble and see if there is a new edition, a new translation, or a new commentary/study. I like to look at covers to see what they come up with to try to sell this item. There are some Bible covers that have me dumbfounded especially with teenage covers.

I have to ask the marketing team if they know the Bible. There are very gruesome tales throughout the Bible. Even Jesus' parables and teachings weren't pretty to hear either. Yet, they market the Bible as a all happy and positive book, a must-read for people to feel good about themselves or their lives. God is all-loving, yes, but there are some passages that can throw us off and ask questions if God could ever possibly be like that. I heard many people who read the Bible thoroughly, they didn't want to be Christians. Not all, but many.

This kind of marketing with the design covers, I don't think they take the Bible very seriously. To them, it's either an attempt as an empty evangelical tool or a merchandise they can sell motivated by greed, like this example, The Playful Puppies Bible. I don't think people buy Bibles because they think it's cute or believe that Bible is all fluffy and nice. I think people buy Bibles because they are serious and want to get to know God. I don't think they care about the covers or don't even read the blurbs like they would on novels or self-help book. Marketing teams need to have their heads out of their clouds. Bible is of different realm, separate from any other books.

Bible is wonderful but it can be scary, too, at times. It has encouraging words to fill goodness in our hearts but it also has terrifying words that strike fear in our hearts. If you think Bible is full of pretty words to make you feel better, think again. If you read the link below, you might say, "Some are metaphors. Don't take it so literally." But I'd say, "I wouldn't undermine the power of God."

I'm not encouraging disbelief. I'm encouraging you to read the whole Bible, all the way through. Don't disbelieve some bad things happened in the Bible, otherwise you miss the point. Ask God for understanding spirit if you truly want to learn. I hope you can stomach what you're about to read. I hope it encourages you to read the Bible more and pray for more faith and wisdom.

http://listverse.com/2012/06/23/top-10-horrifying-moments-in-the-bible/

No comments:

Post a Comment